Skip to content →

intro do fab / week 05 – two materials

for this week assignment we had to fabricate something using to materials that were not acrylic or plywood. since i’m non-stop building looms and i needed to test one last version of a loom for my p-comp final, i decided to make a new weaving loom with some better quality wood and metal rods (i ended up using acrylic as well – sorry ben).

from my last experiences in fabrication i learned that the first thing that i needed to do was to plan exactly all the measures of the loom, where each piece would fit, how much of each material i would need and when i needed to buy all of them. so i did a sketch of a blueprint on illustrator to perfectly plan how the loom would come out and took it with me to buy the materials. since i didn’t know which specific materials i wanted to work with, i looked through some of the websites to know what materials i want. i went to metropolitan and surprisingly they were very helpful and i decided to use pinewood to work with. some friends went to metalliferous, so i looked on their website what metal rod i wanted to use.

week05_01

once i got the material, i prepared them (aka cut and file the ones that need to be filed) and was reading to start techniques of fastening them. to guide me, i did a list of procedures i should do, in the order i believe they work better:

week05_02

for weaving part of the loom, i had done some tests before and i needed some kind of metal rod that wouldn’t bend. i wanted to make threads on the rod as well as to matching threads on the wood with the tap and die tool – but i think that the kit is missing some piece to fit the tap, i tried doing it by hand (testing it) and it didn’t work. so i just drilled a hole and put the brass rods. even though i needed some kind of structure that would stop the weaving of going to the center, i also needed it to let the thread to run freely – so i put an acrylic tube over the brass. it was the right fit, not too loose but loose enough to spin with the thread. i had to hammer them (the wood got a bit dirty but it’s ok).

i’ve been working with the pocket screw jig and i feel confident about it, so i decided to keep using them to assemble the frame. however, the pinewood i was working was a bit too thin, so i had to be really careful on where to make the pocket screw hole. i ripped off a little bit of the pinewood in one of the wholes, but since i had no left overs of the material, i just ignored it and assemble the one besides it.

i was very happy with the result, but i want to get better on making the material assemble better. even though it works and it is not falling/ it balances by itself, it’s still not perfectly fitting.

week05_06

and here’s a demo o how the weaving loom works:

Published in fall 2015 icm intro to fab p-comp

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *