/ last week update
I was still struggling with the servo motor and the fringes. I kept on trying with the motor, trying different libraries to make it work with the attiny85 but nothing worked. So I decided to put it aside and go back to the fringes.
Me and Jordan went to “Shape Changing Materials” workshop held by Wearshop and Nomena on the first weekend of April. While I was there, I got some feedback over the project and decided to give one last shot for the reflective band + photoluminiscent thread. When you put them under light (artificial or natural), they become photoluminscent.
So I sewed the photoluminescent thread on the reflective ribbon and it wasn’t bright enough.
I decided to keep with the fringes and I’ll try a technique with hot glue to weight it and illuminate the fiber optic better; also last week’s guest speaker gave me the tip that I should reach Corning for their Diffused Fiber Optic.
/FINALLY THE MOTOR WORKED WITH THE CIRCUIT
yes it finally did! After struggling so much I decided to reach out to one of the residents (Pedro) and the problem was that I was using the wrong library . So this is the circuit working:
/ fabrication time
So it’s time to fabricate with the real materials! At least to have a prototype closer to the final thing and be able to see where I have to make it better. I’ve decided that my aesthetic is a “a punk haute-couture” acessory. I got a vinyl fabric that looks like a matte leather and it stretches in one way. To have a nice and clean cut I went to the Cameo Sillouette cutter we have a t the soft lab and started testing the cutting settings & sizes. it is a pretty easy machine to use, the trickiest part for me was that the cutting mats were all worn out and didn’t have enough adherence to make the vinyl stick to it – leading to a few blobs while cutting and double cuts with different origins.
After I got the settings right, I went to do the model on illustrator and cut it. It went very well and I’ve also done some tests with the sewing machine. for some reason the white ones would go through the vinyl, but the baby blue went pretty well (thank you Teresa!)
and when I fit the photocell and the servo mount with the fringes…it didn’t work. I’m still trying to figure out why it didn’t work, but I’ve noticed that often the circuit behaves weirdly, so I have to figure this out.
But the circuit is working, I have an assembling/fabrication pretty clear – is just a matter of stabilizing things. when it’s all together.
Last class, one thing Despina said is that even if we don’t have our product finished the important is to have the experience finished. I rethought about the idea of having a glove with a switch and…this is not what I was looking for at first. I went back to my core requirements and definitely practical / organic is in the scope. I want bikers to use it without having to think how they will turn the fringes on or off. On this perspective, the lighting part is doing is job; the movement in the fringes is what I want to also be as effortless as possible. So for the final presentation, I’ll just “fake” the experience. Like I’ve said before, my goal is that the signalization system can anticipate when you are going to turn (not when you are turning).
- core requirements
- first material tests
- user observation
- narrowing of the product
- product dissection
- production steps
- final product
- next steps to further develop it
Leave a Comment